Evaluate using a CDN / creating a "smart mirror"
Some of the big CDN players (ex: Cloudflare and Fastly) offers sponsorship for open-source project, maybe we should take advantage of it? We can either use it as a cache or setup a "smart mirror" which choose the closest mirror relative to the user (can be done with: CLoudflare Workers or Fastly Edge cloud platform)
https://cloudflaremirrors.com/ is also worth mentioning, it is very broken though (the files is sent without
content-length and range requests isn't supported).
Self hosting options
We run our own DNS server for pkgbuild.com with powerdns. Set up europe,america,asia to all become mirror.pkgbuild.com.
- We manage our own infra Downsides:
- All mirrors need to use the same certificate
- Running our own DNS server (with a subzone for mirror.pkgbuild.com)
- Can we still use terraform for DNS records with powerdns?
- Can we use LE to hand out the same certificates for different mirrors?
SRV Record Mirrors and pacman