Add a graphical environment to releng
I propose evaluating providing a graphical environment with the releng profile.
- Graphically configurable keyboard layout selection is easier than doing from the terminal.
- Terminal emulators have scollback unlike the TTY which needs a terminal multiplexer for that. Note: both
tmuxare included in releng.
- A real web browser is more useful than lynx. E.g. links such as "https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/rfkill" actually work, i.e. the link leads to the exact section as it should instead to the top of the page.
- Potentially allows adding a WebUI installer.
- Easier to connect to Wi-Fi and mobile broadband by using a NetworkManager (#187) frontend. As mentioned in the issue,
nmtuiis a lot more limited in regards to creating WPA2-EAP-TLS and WWAN connections.
- Allows to test if the graphical stack works for a particular hardware before installing Arch on it.
- The ISO will be larger.
- Choosing a graphical environment will involve bikeshedding.
- It is unclear if this would improve accessibility or make it worse.
- This issue is not about adding any graphical installer.
- Window managers are not an option, since, AFAIK, they all require configuring to be usable. The graphical environment should be usable out of the box.
- @dvzrv wants Wayland instead of Xorg.
- To avoid keyboard layout issues, starting the graphical environment should not require typing. Instead the graphical environment should start on demand by switching the virtual terminal (e.g. to tty5).
To upload designs, you'll need to enable LFS and have an admin enable hashed storage. More information